| Brief Profile
Name : DR. JACOB V. CHEERAN
Address : Director - Technical Services
Cheerans Lab (P) Limited, Animal Health Division, New Church Street,
Thrissur 680 001, Kerala, INDIA
Veterinary Pharmacology & Toxicology
Position held Institution/Employer Period
Veterinary Surgeon/Extension Officer (AH)
Senior Scientist (Drug Immobilization)
Professor & Head, Dept. of Wildlife Sciences
Professor & Head, Dept. of Pharmacology & Toxicology Kerala Government
College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences 2 Years
12 Years Combined
Teaching: 351/2 Years of teaching experience of which 29years at Post-Graduate level.
Pharmacology and Toxicology both at undergraduate and Post-Graduate level and Therapeutics at
undergraduate level (7 years) Wildlife Sciences, College of Forestry both at undergraduate and P.G.
Class (12 years)
Investigator: I.C.A.R Ad hoc Scheme on Effects of Industrial Effluents on Animal Health (3
’Habitat utilization of animals and its parasitic burden with special references to elephants at
Vazhachal Forest Division (3 years)
Restraint of Animals by Pharmacological means using projectile syringes.
Co-Investigator: ‘Toxicological effects of Industrial waste in Cattle.
‘Genetic studies on Wild Buffaloes of Northeastern Region of India from 01.06.1989 to 31.03.1992.
‘Ministry of Environments and Forests, Government of India.
Number of Papers published/Chapters in books : 34
Number of papers presented/Attended-
(National/International) in various Conferences/Symposia. : 41
Asiad Cultural troupe (Elephant) 1982
Miss: Universe Cultural troupe (Elephant) 1996
Editor Toxicology section-Encyclopaedia on Environment
Radio collaring of wild Elephants and gaur
Resource person of several courses on conservation
Book Under Publication
Textbook on Management of Wild & Zoo Animals
Chapters in Books: (In Malayalam)
1. ‘Pneumonia’ Chapter 13, P.179-190 in ‘Animal Disease’
2. ‘Antibiotics’ Chapter 17, P.832-874 in ‘Animal Husbandry’ Pub: State Language Institute.
3. ‘Antibiotics’ Encyclopaedia, Pub: National Bookstall.
4. ‘Toxicology’ Environmental Encyclopaedia
Chapters in Books: (In English)
1. ‘The exploitation of Mammal Population’ Pub: Chapman & Hall, London-chapter 17, The
Exploitation of Asian Elephants. Jacob v. Cheeran and Trever B. Poole. P.302-308.
2. ‘A week with Elephants’ (Ed) J.C. Daniel and Hemant Datye.
(a) Principles and practice and fixing dose of Drugs for Elephants. Jacob V. Cheeran, K.
Chandrasekharan and K.Radhakrishnan.
(b) Review of the Incidence, Etiology & Control of Common Diseases of Asian Elephants with
special reference to Kerala. K. Chandrasekharan, K. Radhakrishnan, Jacob V. Cheeran, K.N.
3. ‘Wildlife Research Management’ (Ed) Stephen H. Bervick and V.B. Saharia. 1995 Oxford
University press chapter 20, Health and condition Evaluation of Wild Animal Population: - The Animal
indicator concept. A.W. Franzmann, R. Coock, C.M.Singh and Jacob V. Cheeran. P. 365-403.
4. ‘The Asian Elephant’
(a) ‘Transportation of Elephants by rail’ by Jacob V. Cheeran, K. Chandrasekharan and K.
(b) ‘Anaesthesia for surgical manipulation in the Elephant’ by K.N. Muraleedharn Nair, K.
Radhakrishnan, K. Chandrasekharan, Jacob V. Cheeran, S. Raveendran Nair and P.O. George: P. 156-
(c) “Tranquillization and Translocation of Elephants’ By Jacob V. Cheeran, K. Chandrasekharan,
and K. Radhakrishnan.
(d) “A Case of Oculophobia in a tusker’ by Jacob V Cheeran, K. Chandrasekharan, and K.
Popular Extention Activities:
1. Popular Articles. 2. Radio talks.
2. Guest Lectures. 3. Quiz Programmes.
Wildlife resources in rural development, Hyderabad - 1980
Workshop on techniques in Wildlife Research Management
(As faculty member) from January 4-21 at Kanha National Park- M.P. - 1982
Wrokshop on Elephant Management-Jaldappara, North Bengal, India
Paper presented. December - 1982
Conservation in developing countries-problems and prospects - 1983
Seminar of Wildlife Management - 1985
IUCN Asian Elephants Specialist Group Meeting, Bandipur, India November 5th- 1985
Workshop on Zoo and Wildlife Medicine Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Sept. - 1987
Seminar on the Ecology, Biology, Diseases, Conservation and
Management of Elephants- Paper presented - 1989
Meeting of Conservation Breeding Specialist Group, Singapore. - 1990
Seminar on Veterinary Medicine in wild and captive animals-paper
Presented-session chaired 8th. Bangalore on October - 1991
Seminar on the Conservation of Asian Elephants (June 13 –18th Mudumalai) - 1993
Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad - 1993
Seminar on Conservation of Asian Elephant-Yangon-Mynamar:
Paper presented-session chaired 17th to 19th February - 1997
Seminar on Management of Elephants, Chang Mai University,
Chiang Mai, Thailand-March 12th and 13th - 1999
Seminar on Captive Elephant-Elephant Management-May 6th and 7th
New York Columbia State University, New York - 1999
Seminar on Elephant at Louisiana State University, Baton Rogue, USA May 13th- 1999
Seminar on Elephant, Zoological garden-Baton Rogue, USA may 14th - 1999
Seminar on Elephants at Royal Veterinary College, London 28th October - 1999
International Workshop on the Domesticated Asian Elephant by FAO,
5-10 Feb.2001. Bangkok, Lampang and Chiang-Mai, Thailand - 2001
Instructional classes in various places in the Island Nation Sri Lanka 8th -
14th March - 2001
Asian Elephant specialist group meeting (IUCN) 27th to 30th May,
Phnom Penh Cambodia - 2002
NATIONAL/STATE CONFERENCES ATTENTED/PAPER PRESENTED
All India Pharmacology Conference 1972
Regional Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society 1974
All India Pharmacology Conference 1974
All India Pharmacology Conference 1975
Regional Conference of India Pharmacological Society 1976
Workshop on Production Diseases of Cattle 8th May 1978
State level workshop on Elephants 10th May 1979
Wild Life Resources for Rural Development at Hydrabad as a faculty
On 7th to 11th July 1980
Indian Poultry Science Association VIII Annual Conference and
Symposium on 23-25 April as a faculty. 1981
All India Symposium on Wildlife Biology 1982
Workshop on Wildlife Health for Veterinarians 1985
Symposium on Biosphere Reserves, Udhyogamandalam 24th –26th Sept. 1986
Symposium on ‘Recent trends’ in Fertility Management
Farm Animals 22nd to 24th August 1988
Symposium of Ecology, Biology Management Diseases on the Asian Elephant 1989
National workshop on Elephant Management issues on 6th and 7th
May at Forest Research Institute, Dehradun, India. 1989
Ecology, Behaviour and Management of Elephants in Kerala Paper
Presented in February ((i) Veterinary intervention in Wild Elephants
(ii) Capture of Deprading Wild Elephants) 1990
Summer Institute on Breeding Management and Disease Control of
Wild animals, as a faculty sponsored by Indian council of Agricultural
Research New Delhi at Bihar Vet. College Patna. 16th June –5th July 1992
‘Symposium on Phenol Pollution’ sponsored by Thrissur Chapter of
Kerala Science Academy 7th August 1993
Vetebrate Ecology (Mudumalai) 1993
Aringar Anna Zoological Park. Vandalur (Madras) Chemical
Restraint of Animals 30th December 1993
Capsule course on Zoo Management (2 weeks) at Madras Session V.
Pharmacology/Chemical Restraints 27th December 1993 to January 1994
Indira Gandhi’s Vision on Wildlife Conservation on 29-31st October
As a faculty 1994
National UGC Seminar on ‘Law, Science and Technology 16th-17th March 1995
National symposium on advances in Diagnostic Veterinary Pathology
9th to 11th November 1998
Workshop on Impact of Patent law in Agriculture 3rd July 2000
Work shop on Management of Elephant Corridors in Southern India
21-22 December in Mudumalai wildlife sanctuary. 2000
Elephant Ultra sound workshop for veterinarians in India 18-20th Feb. 2001
National Workshop on Wildlife Conservation in India: Challenges and 2003
initiatives 30th June & 1st July 2003.
National Workshop on “Management and Welfare of Elephants in
Captivity-Priorities for the 21st “Century”, 26th August 2003 2003
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ORGANISATIONS
IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources) - SSC
(a) Veterinary Specialist Group.
(b) Asian Elephant Specialist Group for the past 10 years.
(c) Conservation Breeding Specialist Group.
OIE (Office International Des Epizootes)-Paris
Specialist Group on Wildlife Diseases
Universities Federation of Animal Welfare-England-Member
Society against cruelty to Elephants
Member in selection and assessment committee of various universities
Major and advisor for several post-graduate students including doctoral level (Pharmacology,
Toxicology, and Wildlife Sciences.)
Member (Former), Faculty of Environmental studies-Cochin University of Science and Technology
Nature Education Society
Zoological and environmental society
Zoo-Out Reach Organisation-Member-Managing Committee
Expert Committee on Captive Elephants - Government of India
Committee on Evaluation of Project Elephants Schemes
Bio-diversity Conservation - Kerala State
Member Steering Committee of Project Elephant
Member (Former) Central Zoo Authority
Member (Former) State Advisory Board WWF (World Wide Fund for nature)
State Advisory Committee – Zoo and Museum
Advisory Committee - Thrissur Zoo
Vice-President – Nature Education Society
AWARDS AND PRIZES
1. ‘Good Service Entry’ for ‘Standardising and Using Nicotine for control of Elephants’
2. ‘Good Service Entry’ and citation of hitting the ‘Century’ of Elephant Immobilisation (The current
number elephants, tranquillised and translocated are 404.)
3. Award of Excellence for the outstanding contribution towards Conservation of Nature and Animal
4. Fellowship of National Academy of Veterinary Sciences (FNAVS)
PRODJECT – A patented pole syringe to inject wild animals
International Exhibitions - Visited.
AGRITECH ’97, Israel
VIV Veterinary Exhibition, Bangkok 1999
Major Extension Projects.
Several Training Classes on Elephant Tranquillization all over India
Translocation of Wild Elephants
Radio-Collaring (Elephants and Gaur)
USA, Including Hawaii, France, UAE, Myanmar,
Thailand, UK, Bhutan, Israel, Egypt, Singapore, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Australia, Germany, Netherlands,
LIST OF PAPERS PRESENTED IN SEMENARS/SYMPOSIA.
1. Disease of Pet Animals and Birds. Seminar of Kerala Agricultural University and Thrissur
Municipality, Thrissur 1975.
2. A Wound on the trunk of an Elephant – Annual symposium and conference of Indian Society of
Veterinary Surgery-Madras 1979.
3. Insecticides in environmental pollution seminar on environmental pollution control, Cochin 1985.
4. Recent trends in Wildlife conservation, training course for IFS officers, Kerala Agricultural
University, Vallanikkara, February 1987.
5. Wildlife resources and development on conservation and utilisation of natural resources, College
of Forestry, Vellanikkara, December 1989.
6. Veterinary intervention in wild elephants. Behaviour and Management of Elephants in Kerala
7. Capture of deprading wild elephants using drugs management of Elephants in Kerala 1990.
8. Use of indigenous product-‘Recent’ for wounds in elephants, International seminar on veterinary
medicine in wild and captive animals, Bangalore 1991.
9. Treatment of Tetanus in a captive elephant-a successful case report. International seminar on
veterinary medicine in wild and captive animals, Bangalore 1991.
10. Use of Xylazine as an anaesthetic for elephants in surgical conditions, International seminar in
veterinary medicines in wild and captive animals, Bangalore 1991.
11. Translocation of captive or rogue tuskers. International seminar on veterinary medicine in wild
and captive animals, Bangalore 1991.
12. Decay of dental pulp and extraction of teeth in captive elephants. International seminar on
Veterinary medicine in wild and captive animals 1991.
13. Anaesthesia for surgical manipulators in the elephant, symposium on Asian elephants 1992.
14. Breeding, Management and decease control of wild animals Bihar Veterinary College, Patna
16th June to 5th July 1992.
15. A review of the incidence, etiology and control of diseases of Asian elephants with special
reference to Kerala. International seminar on conservation of Asian elephants, Mudumalai, 13th to 15th
16. Principles and practice of fixing dose of drugs for elephants, International seminar on Asian
17. Dung Parasites of wild animals in Vazhachal Forest Division, Kerala, South India. National
symposium on Natural Resources Management systems 26th –28th 1997.
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
1. The Tetracycline’s-their mode of action. KVC Annual X; 69-73 by Jacob V. Cheeran (1966).
2. Necrosis of the tall in bovine animals. Vet.Rec.87; 231-233, by P.O. George, Jacob V. Cheeran
and N.M. Aleyas (1970).
3. Ketamine hydrochloride (Ketalar, Parke-Davis) as a general anaesthetic in dogs. Kerala J.Vet.
Sci.4 (2); 157-161, by Marykutty, K.P.D. Nair, M.K. Rajagopalan, Jacob V. Cheeran and Zacharias
4. A Clinical note on the use of Mebendaszole against Ancylostomiasis and Toxacariasis in dogs.
Kerala J.Vet.Sci.10 (1) 159-162, by K. Chandrasekharan, K. Ramadas, E.P. Paily, and Jacob V.
5. Effect of Meprobamate on weight gain in broiler chicken. Kerala J. Vet. Sci. 11(2) 324-328, by
Santha E George and Jacob V Cheeran.
6. Immobilization of Indian elephants with Nicotine, Cheiron, 10(6) 268-174by Jacob V Cheeran, K
Chandrasekharan, and K Radhakrishnan (1981).
7. A trial with Nitrazepam as feed additive in broiler chicken. Kerala J. Vet. Sci. 12(2), 301-304 by
Santha E George and Jacob V Cheeran (1981).
8. Comparitive efficacy of six Anthelmintics against Strongylosis in elephants. Kerala J. Vet. Sci. 13
(1) 15-20 by Jacob V Cheeran, K. Chandrasekharan, K N M Nair, and K N Ramanujan (1981).
9. Efficacy of Distodin in the treatment of Amphistomiasis in Indian elephants, Kerala J. Vet. Sci. 13
(1) 55-58 by Jacob V Cheeran, K Chandrasekharan, and K Radhakrishnan (1982).
10. Amputation of tail in a Lion under Xylazine anaesthesia. Kerala J. Vet. Sci. 17(1), 152-153 by P
O George, Jacob V Cheeran, K N M Nair, S R Sarada Amma and K Rajankutty (1986).
11. Treatment of wounds on the forelimb of a Lion (Panthera leo) under general anaesthesia.
Indian Vet. Sci. 18(1) 138-139 by P O George, Jacob V Cheeran, A M Jalaluddin, K Rajankutty and C
Abraham Varkey (1986).
12. Partial amputation of the tongue of a Bonnet Monkey under general anaesthesia. Indian Vet.
Sci. 18(1) 113-116 by P O George, Jacob V Cheeran, and K Rajankutty (1987).
13. Residual levels of mercury in kidney and liver samples of slaughter animals. Kerala J. Vet. Sci.
18(2) 113-116 by V R Raghunandanan, Jacob V Cheeran, K A John and M K Rajagopalan (1987).
14. Epiphycical fracture of tibia in a Lion (Panthero leo). Indian J. Vet. Surg. 9(2) 142-143 by P O
Geroge, K N M Nair, Jacob V Cheeran, A M Jalaluddin, S R Nair, C Abraham Varkey and K Rajankutty
15. Treatment of a wound on the trunk of an Indian Elephant (Elephas maximus) a case report,
Indian J. Vet. Srug. 10(1), 76-79 by P O George, Jacob V Cheeran, C P B Menon, and P J George
16. Translocation of Lions (Panthera leo) in Thrissur Zoo. Tiger Paper, 16(1) 23-25 by Jacob V
Cheeran, P O George, and K Rajankutty (1989).
17. General Anaesthesia in an elephant (Elephas maximus) a clinical case reports. By K N
Muraleedharan, K N Chandrasekharan, and Jacob V Cheeran (1989).
18. A wound on the trunk of a male elephant (Elephas maximus) a case-report. Zoos print 5(1) by
P O George, Jacob V Cheeran and P T Philip (1990).
19. General Anaesthesia in a Lion tailed Monkey (Maccaca silenus) using droperiodo-fentanyl
mixture, (Innovar-vet). Zoo’s print, 5(5) 13 by P O George, K Rajankutty, and Jacob V Cheeran.
20. Droperidol-fentanyl mixture (Innovar-vet) as an anaesthetic in dogs. Indian Vet J.68 (5) 483-484
by Jacob V Cheeran, P O George, K Rajankutty, C Abraham Varkey, T Sarada Amma, K N M Nair, and
S R Nair (1991).
21. Reversal of Ketamine Xylazine anaesthesia with 4-amino pyridine in rats. J Vet. Anim. Sci. 24(2)
195-196 by A.M. Chandrasekharan Nair, Jacob V Cheeran, and M K Rajagopalan (1993).
22. Post-Mortem Examination of Birds as an aid to disease diagnosis. Zoos print P. 1-2 by Jacob V
23. Orchoectomy in Lions (Panthera leo), Indian Vet. J. 72(1) 92-93 by P O George, C J Chandra,
Jacob V Cheeran, T Sarada Amma and K Rajankutty (1995).
24. Effect of Xylazine on Tiletamine-zolazepam anaesthesia in dogs. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. 26(1) 4-49 by
Mini Bharathan, A M Chandrasekharan Nair, Jacob V Cheeran, K N M Nair, and M K Rajagopalan
25. Use of anti-androgen in controlling musth in captive elephants. Zoos print 11(4) 25-26 by K
Chandrasekharan, and Jacob V Cheeran.
26. A note on the treatment of an injured wild tusker at the Agasthyavanam Biological Park, Kerala.
Zoos print, 11(4): 20 by C Venkatesan, K Chandrasekharan, K Radhakrishnan, A Jayasudha and Jacob
27. Chemical Immobilization of an injured wild tusker from a motorboat. Zoos print. 11(4) 27 by C
Venkatesan, K Chandrasekharan, K Radhakrishnan, A Jayasudha, and Jacob V Cheeran (1996).
28. Reversal of Tiletamine-zolazepam-xylazine anaesthesia with aminopyridine in dogs. J. Vet.
Anim. Sci. 28(1), 28-31 by Mini Bharathan, A M Chandrasekharan Nair, Jacob V Cheeran, K N M Nair,
and M K Rajagopalan (1997).
29. Debarking behaviour of elephants in Vazhachal Forest Division, Kerala, and South India.
Journal of BNHS Vol.94, No.2, 1997: 392-393 by M M Animon, Jacob V Cheeran and B N Nagaraj
30. Preliminary studies for mineral supplements for elephants. Tiger Paper24 (4), 18-20 by M M
Animon, Jacob V Cheeran and B N Nagaraj (1997).
31. Vazhachal Forest – A model for ecotourism. Proceedings of Ninth Kerala Science Congress 27-
29 January 1997; 485 by M M Animon, Jacob V Cheeran, and B.N. Nagaraj (1997).
32. Ecotourism as a way for the sustainable management of natural resources-experiences from
Vazhachal Forest Division. National symposium on Natural Resources Management Systems. February
26-18,1997: 76 by M M Animon, Jacob V Cheeran, Sonny George and K Rajesh (1997).
33. Conservation needs of flora and fauna in Vazhachal Forest Division, Kerala South India. The
National Symposium on Natural Resource Management Systems February 26-28 1997, 27 by M M
Animon, Jacob V Cheeran, Sonny George, and M G Surendran (1997).
34. Status of elephants (Elephas maximus indicus) in Vazhachal Forest Division. Proceeding of the
ninth Kerala Science Congress, January 1997:486. By M.M. Animon, Jacob V. Cheeran & B.N. Nagaraj
35. Improved Health Care-Crucial for proper Zoo Management. By Jacob V cheeran Indian Zoo
Yearbook, Vol. III (2000).