A brief on Lead Poisoning in canines

Although the danger of lead poisoning in children is well
known, dogs are also at risk. Lead has a sweet taste that
encourages continued ingestion.

Sources of lead include peeling lead-based paints,
linoleum, putty, drapery weights, fishing sinkers,
ammunition etc. Puppies are especially susceptible
because they are more likely to chew peeling paint and
swallow lead based objects. More importantly, puppies
absorb lead more readily from the gastrointestinal tract.

                   Symptoms of lead poisoning

Vomiting, diarrhoea, reduced appetite, depression and
abdominal pain - may appear as early as three days after
ingestion. But if your dog ingests the lead in small,
continual doses, signs may not appear for several months.
A blood sample will diagnose lead poisoning.

Treatment varies according to the stage of toxicity and
lead source, but may even involve surgery to remove the
lead source and/or drugs to attach to the lead and speed
it's elimination. Prognosis ranges from full recovery with
early diagnosis and treatment, to permanent kidney
damage or brain damage and even death, despite
treatment.
    

                                                                                       December 2006
Services
 
Web www.cheerans.com


©  Cheerans Lab (P) Limited        About us | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact us | Site Map  
Search anything, anytime !